Sunday, March 25, 2007

10 Books That I Cannot Live Without!

Okay, Kailana from The Written World started this little book meme and I decided to give it a go!

Here is my list of 10 books that I absolutely cannot live or breathe without!

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

It’s a beautiful story and I really admire Miss Eyre. She may be plain, unfashionable and not rich, she managed to change other people’s lives, more specifically her employer, Mr. Rochester’s. I just like the story and her determination.

2. The True Story of Lilli Stubeck by James Aldridge

I’ve reviewed this book before. See here. Lilli is not like other girls. She’s daring and does not give a thought to what other people say about her. She is another wonderful female book character.

3. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

I’ve reviewed this book here. It’s just a very funny book and Christopher is one weird boy. He’s smart but he is a little bit paranoid.

4. My Enid Blyton books.

I grew up reading books by Enid Blyton. Would my investigating skills be enhanced without the Five Find-Outers and Dog? How would I know how to enjoy a midnight feast if it weren’t for the girls at St. Clare’s and Malory Towers? Would I ‘believe’ in fairies, elves, pixies, etc if I did not read the books? She’s one amazing author and always will be.

5. Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Hmm, I just like this book. I was also very sad when one of Josephine’s friends committed suicide. It’s a good read.

6. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

What can I say? It’s one of the greatest classic stories. And it’s Dickens too. I like the ending when Pip and Estella meet each other and become friends. Well, I guess they were friends earlier but Estella was too stuck-up to be considered one.

7. The Dictionary.

It is a book, right? When I read, I’ll surely encounter some new, unfamiliar words and I have to look them up the dictionary to know what they mean. That’s the dictionary’s job. Help me learn as many new words as possible.

8. Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster.
It’s a book full of letters by Judy to her benefactor who sponsored her schooling. In the end, she fell in love with him. And vice versa.

9. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodges Burnett

I like the movie and I like the story. It’s the story of friendship between 3 children who care for an abandoned garden. Nice one.

10. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

It's a story of the slavery of African-American people in America a long time ago. It's a sad book with lots of moral values. It teaches us to be kinder to other fellow human beings and that nobody is more superior than others. Well, I feel that the world should not be without this book. It's a good read.

6 comments:

  1. interesting list ... some titles i need to check out because i haven't heard of them before ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks. And I've also never heard of many books before. There are just so many of them! I wish I can read them all. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I am glad to see another vote for the dictionary, my most prized book of all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a collection...

    Based from your description alone, I bet they are interesting reads...

    ReplyDelete
  5. dancin' fool: Hi there! Yeah, the dictionary is definitely a must-have. Helps me improve my vocabulary.

    dodong: Yup, they sure are interesting, that's why I can't 'live' without them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi zeek, well, I hope your niece likes the Secret Garden too! It's a wonderful book.

    I'm glad you read Uncle Tom's Cabin too. That book is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. Let me know you stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...