Thursday, July 17, 2008

SF Book Meme

I was just looking around for a meme to do and I stumbled upon this from SF Signal! This should be interesting or weird since I don't really read a lot of science fiction but then, let's give it a try, shall we?

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror?
I'll have to go with fantasy. Horror gives me the creeps.

Hardback or Trade Paperback or Mass Market Paperback?
Hardback looks grand but the mass market paperback's so much cheaper! Mass market paperback for me.

Heinlein or Asimov?
Erm, who're they? *grins sheepishly*

-Robert Anson Heinlein (July 7, 1907 – May 8, 1988) was an American novelist and science fiction writer.

-Isaac Asimov (c. January 2, 1920[1] – April 6, 1992), pronounced /ˈaɪzək ˈæzɪmʌv/,[2] originally Исаак Озимов but now transcribed into Russian as Айзек Азимов, was a Russian-born American author and professor of biochemistry, a highly successful writer, best known for his works of science fiction and for his popular science books.

~From Wikipedia~


Amazon or Brick and Mortar?
Brick and Mortar!

Barnes & Noble or Borders?
No Barnes & Noble here in Malaysia. But I've always loved Borders!

Hitchhiker or Discworld?
Haven't read either one yet.

Bookmark or Dogear?
Definitely bookmark. Dogear ruins the book.

Magazine: Asimov's Science Fiction or Fantasy & Science Fiction?
Neither.

Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title or random?
Random?

Keep, Throw Away or Sell?
I keep those that I want and sell those I don't want. Simple. And recently, I give away those that I don't want!

Year's Best Science Fiction series (edited by Gardner Dozois) or Years Best SF series (edited by David G. Hartwell)?
Can't answer that.

Keep dustjacket or toss it?
Keep.

Read with dustjacket or remove it?
Sometimes with and sometimes I remove it.

Short story or novel?
I've always preferred novels.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I've only read Harry Potter and watched the Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Events movie.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Chapter breaks. If I'm really tired, then I'll just stop.

"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
"Once upon a time"

Buy or Borrow?
Buy! Borrow the book if I'm out of cash. Haha!

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse?
All three!

Lewis or Tolkien?
Only read Lewis.

Hard SF or Space Opera?
Neither.

Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)?
Anthology.

Hugo or Nebula?
Are you talking about Victor Hugo? Oh no, you're not!

Hugo Award: The Hugo Awards are given every year for the best science fiction or fantasy works and achievements of the previous year.

Nebula Award: The Nebula Award is an award given each year by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA), for the best science fiction/fantasy fiction published in the United States during the two previous years.

~From Wikipedia~


Golden Age SF or New Wave SF?
I can't answer this either.

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
Tidy ending.

Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading?
Anytime, actually. As long as I'm not tired.

Standalone or Series?
Depends. If it's a good story, then series.

Urban fantasy or high fantasy?
Urban fantasy.

New or used?
I like new books. I like the smell of new books.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Tough one. I think all the books that I read are heard of.

Top X favorite genre books read last year? (Where X is 5 or less)
1. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
2. Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
3. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

By genre books, do they mean 'genre fiction'?

That's a long meme. Actually, there are 3 more questions but I'm skipping them. Can't think much right now. Gonna take my lunch, anyway and drama class later!

4 comments:

  1. I did this one too. If you keep supplying me with meme's, I'll never post anything else, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trisha! Haha! I enjoy doing memes...they're so fun! It's okay, we'll do as many memes as possible! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm ... from the rest of your responses I'd say you should try Heinlein before Asimov. Move on to Octavia Butler. And I don't know that I would classify Harry Potter as Sci Fi ...

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lisas: Hi, alright, I'll try Heinlein one day. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. Let me know you stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...