Thursday, July 10, 2008

Classics Meme

I found this meme from Book Club Classics!

What is the best classic you were “forced” to read in school (and why)?
If only we did read classics in school. I mean, reading the whole unabridged version. The only ones we read were Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe and The Pearl by John Steinbeck. Those were the really simplified versions.

What was the worst classic you were forced to endure (and why)?
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It was so boring that I skipped several pages. Too long-winded for me. I wanted to read Sense and Sensibility next but decided to skip that too!

Which classic should every student be required to read (and why)?
Uncle Tom's Cabin. To learn about history, slavery, and injustice.

Which classic should be put to rest immediately (and why)?
It has to be Jane Austen's classics.

**Bonus** Why do you think certain books become “classics”?
Hmm, I don't know why either. Strong plot? Unforgettable characters? Happy endings? The really difficult aka boring level of English? Yeah, I guess these determine why classics are classics.

I'm not going to tag anybody. Feel free to do this meme in your blog too and do let me know when you're done!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing! And I love your site -- glad I found it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen, thanks for dropping by! It was a fun meme too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my teacher forced me yto read the novel on business ,. atlast shrugged by ayn rand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! How was the business book then? I hope it was an interesting read for you! At least you get to learn more about business stuff. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So we both detest Jane Austen. Good to find a kindre soul!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. gautami tripathy: Oh yeah. So far, I've come across many book bloggers who like Austen and it felt weird that I didn't like her. Well, I feel so much better now to know that I'm not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. Let me know you stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...