Thursday, June 17, 2010

BTT: Now or then?

This week's Booking Through Thursday question:

Do you prefer reading current books? Or older ones? Or outright old ones? (As in, yes, there’s a difference between a book from 10 years ago and, say, Charles Dickens or Plato.)

My answer:

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I prefer new ones. Sometimes I like a challenge by reading books that were published many, many years ago where the language used would have my head cracking and me scrambling for the dictionary to look up new-to-me words. It's an indescribable experience reading classics as such books have stood the test of time. Readers, academics, literary folks have perused them for centuries. Classics have been recommended countless of times. That's why I appreciate them.

But if I really need something light and does not require much concentration, I'll pick up contemporary novels. Not that all contemporary need little concentration! Don't get me wrong. It's just that I'm more familiar with the language, though at times, they do make me go back to the dictionary.

4 comments:

  1. Great answers. I love the classics too. They are timeless. Happy BTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this question - everyone has such interesting answers. Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What matters is the story but I tend to fall in love with best sellers!

    www.thesocialfrog.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. Let me know you stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...