Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Coming Across A Favourite Author & Love At First Sight With Books

I've missed so many questions from Booking Through Thursday so I'd better start answering at least one right now. The questions that I'd like to answer would be:

1. How did you come across your favorite author(s)? Recommended by a friend? Stumbled across at a bookstore? A book given to you as a gift?
2. Was it love at first sight? Or did the love affair evolve over a long acquaintance?


There are so many ways where one can chance upon a favourite author. I have several favourites and here they are: Enid Blyton, J.K. Rowling, and Libba Bray. Erm, that's all I guess. I do have favourite books but I'm not quite sure if the books' authors are my favourite authors. I may like one of their books but it does not mean that I will like their other books. So, it's kind of hard. Anyway, I've always enjoyed reading books by Enid Blyton, Rowling and Bray's Gemma Doyle books, so they can be considered my favourite authors.

Now how did I come across them? Enid Blyton: through my sister. The first Enid Blyton book that I've read was given to me by my sister. It's the Billy-Bob Tales book. That's where I learnt new words, new names, and new things like snowdrops, cocker spaniels, etc.

And I came across Rowling when the same sister of mine gave me Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Did she give it to me? Yeah, I think so. I don't remember how old was I. I know many of you might already be sick of the Harry Potter books but don't judge them too harshly. The books are actually funny and sometimes, I find myself laughing over some parts of the book. Any book that can make me laugh is definitely a book worth reading again and again. Another book that always make me laugh is Mark Haddon's 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time'. That book's really good.

Finally, Libba Bray. Well, I came across 'A Great And Terrible Beauty' in Borders. Saw the cover, read the back of the book and decided to buy it. I couldn't wait to get my hands on book 2, which is Rebel Angels. Now, the 3rd book is out. Not sure if it's available in Malaysia yet. Will be on the lookout for it.

And the love at first sight thing? I can't really say. It definitely wasn't love at first with my Enid Blyton book. I was too young and didn't know much about books. The Harry Potter book? Hmm...I think it was the first paragraph that got me hooked. And Great and Terrible Beauty? Yup, I did like the interesting cover. That's about it.

Guess that's all, huh? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. Let me know you stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...