Wednesday, November 21, 2012

All About The Chocolate War


Well not quite! I finished reading the young adult novel, The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier two days ago, quite perplexed over the ending. Check out my review of the book here.

I then could not wait to start watching its film adaptation. The movie of the same name starred John Glover as the evil and cunning Brother Leon, one of the creepy characters in the book. His performance in the movie was superb. Another one is the intelligent Archie played by Wallace Langham. At the start of the movie, Archie's expression makes me think that he's about to vomit anytime....or probably that's how he looks anyway.

I was not happy with the movie's ending. I think the book was too depressing that a movie version of it cannot afford to be of the same mood. The main character, Jerry, had it worse for him in the book where he had to bear the feelings of grief, loneliness and intimidation. He is even bullied terribly at school. Not much of this was portrayed in the movie so don't avoid the film after reading the book.

Anyway, thanks to the film, I've come to know a new song, a very catchy song that is. In My Room by Yaz or Yazoo. Go listen to it. I feel that it suited the movie so much. I wonder if it was written specially for the movie?

I know that I should continue reading the sequel, Beyond The Chocolate War so as to know how it will end up for the schoolboys at the Trinity Catholic school. But from the description, I already expect for it to be just as depressing as the first book, if not more.

What should I read next???

Oh, do let me know if you have also reviewed The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. Leave your links and I will add them to my review on my other blog. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. Let me know you stopped by! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...